Let’s talk about workout results! Because if you’re putting in the time and the effort to work out, I’m sure you want to make sure that you’re getting the most from them.
These are 5 common mistakes people make, that keep them stuck, on a plateau, and lead them to give up out of frustration:
- You’re not pushing yourself enough during your workout. This means that you’re showing up, but while you’re working out you’re not lifting heavy enough or going deep enough in the movements. To ensure that this is happening make sure that each and every rep counts, and make sure that your last few reps are really your last few reps, meaning that you couldn’t do a single one more. If you’re a ‘motoring through your workout’ kinda person, think about slowing each rep down.
If you’re having a hard time doing this, look at the #2 reason below 👇
- You’re working out too much. Yes, there is such a thing as working out too much! If you’re working out with weights daily your body won’t have the opportunity to recover and if you’re consistently working the same muscles and not giving them a rest, then you’ll have a hard time building lean muscle mass and are much more prone to injury. This includes core and abs peeps, no need to work them daily!
- You’re not resting enough. While resting from working the same muscles is key. Lack of quality sleep is also going to hold you back from results. In order to build muscle you need to sleep, this is when muscle is created, so don’t skimp on it.
- You’re just doing steady cardio. Cardio is great on days between strength sessions, and allows for recovery, however if you’re goal is weight loss then steady state cardio (ie long runs, hour long elliptical training) is a waste of time and will actually break down muscle. You’ll get much more from a 15-20 min interval session than from a ‘never ending’ cardio session. Keep it simple and start with 1 min of jogging and 30 seconds of sprinting sessions.
- You’re not managing stress. Stress is part of life, but too much stress piles up and increases Cortisol, our stress hormone. Cortisol is a necessary hormone, but excess will stall results and cause you to hold on to excess fat stores.
Ways to relieve stress:
- Eat a diet rich in veggies, fruits and lean protein sources.
- Balance strenuous workouts with more low key movement such as walking and yoga.
- Mediate 10 min a day.
- Spend time in nature and get outside for some fresh air.
- Stop saying ‘yes’ to things that don’t serve you, so that you can say ‘yes’ to more self care.
- Journal out your stress.
Hope this help you on your wellness journey😉
Certified Health Coach, Chek Holistic Lifestyle Coach
Co-Founder of Best Body Bootcamp
Join our next 21 Day Challenge and get awesome workouts, nutrition, support and accountability.